Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Blah Blah Blah...

Trials exhausted , the final test came- Disastrous!!
The last lap , my lungs burned and then collapsed.
No steam , No will. Did I expect this?

I think I did, That's why I'm numb. But I'm also tired ,
as is my conscience. Of the guilt and time mis-spent.
I fill my days now, with renewed vigour. Dance , Music , Books ,Escape!

So don't ask me and I won't lie.

What I want to do , and what I may have to end up doing...

My sights are on that bright star , of which all I feel now is the promise of its light...

-------------------------------------------

That said , onto more cheerful things. This post is gonna be rather fuzzy i'm afraid...It's been so long since I've written , I'm terrified that I've forgotten how.

Ever since my exams got over last week...and I officially became Freeeeeee....(Yay...)I've watched three really different movies...I say different not because I didn't immensely admire them , but because I'm not sure if everyone else will....I wanted to write a review for it , but I'm tired after spending a day doing nothing and an evening cooking (more about that little adventure later).

The movies I mean are
1)Sideways :which has unusually explicit sex scenes for a really classily(is that a word?) shot film (Among many other things).
2)Before Sunrise :Recommended to me nearly a year ago by a friend- refreshingly different film , but if you don't like simplicity and/or profundity , a slow screenplay and a certain sense of romance-don't watch!!!!
3)Spanglish: An adam sandler movie makes it hard to imagine that he's the same guy who starred in that excuse of a movie -Little Nicky!!!

I also managed to begin writing this really weird goofy spoof-story that was concocted on the spur of the moment and narrated to me ,one which I shall probably complete one of these days and put up here. Probably in two or three parts. It's turning out to be really long...

Am currently reading My Experiments With Truth (by M.K Gandhi , sillies) .But I think I'll save that for another post. So many impressions to write about. And my exhaustion might render it superficial if I tried to express it now.

Speaking of which ,Exhaustion I mean , I valiantly tried my hand at making pasta today - penne actually. It did'nt turn out exactly the way it was supposed to , (but that's 'cos I was trying to cut down on cheese content) but it was reallly nice , atleast that's what my brother said...And he , I might mention , is your discerning connoiseur of cuisine , one who has no qualms about letting me know , in no uncertain terms , if something i've made is repulsive or even slightly short of his rather high expectations.

Anyway, after an evening of shopping for ingredients and slaving away in the kitchen for two hours , my gourmet meal was ready. Penne with a light white cream sauce , Baked potatoes and sour cream , steamed and tossed vegetables and cheese garlic bread.

Not bad no? For a first time, trying so many things at once! Mom tried to dissuade me from anything too elaborate.She kept insisting that I neednt have to take so much effort.(This was a belated Mother's Day gift!)

But I had decided I would and By jove, I was going to. I think what she was really afraid of was that in the process of making this meal , I would turn the kitchen upside down. Well, I didnt- Using about 25 different vessels and not doing the dishes after wards does'nt count as that no?

If you're wondering what the whole "No?" thing is about...It's a really adorable french affectation , or supposedly french affectation that I picked up from my french prof a couple of years ago and forgot after I completed my language credit requirement . Along with the rest of my french.

I picked it up again after watching "Before Sunrise"- Btw, if you watch the movie , pay attention to the poem in it...the milkshake poem, you'll know what I mean if you watch it , It's beautiful.

Anyway, getting back to my cooking , I called pretty much everyone I could to tell them I had cooked. And surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) all the guys reacted in the following way:

1) What?????......You cook??????? Since When????
2) Sneha , don't Bullshit me , you don't know how to cook!!

I re-iterate that I bloody well do

3) So , umm...do u cook well???

No--I'm just boasting in the hopes of enticing you into a eating a lousy meal 'cos that would just make my sadistic pathetic life a little happier and I could hate you for it!!!!

4) Ok...then I'm coming tomorrow, you can cook for me!!

My entire life is at your service..sure , anytime , just name the menu and i'll name the price!

5) yeah...uhhh...so what time...

Do your mothers not feed you??

I told this to 6 guys and all of them reacted more or less like this....and two of them are mere acquaintances so it's not even like anybody can say that maybe they know me too well or something such thing!

Anyway,so if you get held up by traffic on your way to work or play , tomorrow afternoon , by a string of people clammering for more--Don't blame me-I can't help that I'm a good cook!!

Lol...the secret of being a good cook at twenty: Refuse to learn how to make dal , chawal , roti , sabzi!! That way , if you are a girl , you will not get cajoled /coerced into cooking daily ,thus causing burnout and making it an enormously loathsome exercise , whose drudgery has to be endured for the rest of one's life (unless one is really lucky enough to marry a nice chef who doesnt mind bringing leftover home)-

This is a policy my best friend meera and I have adopted and found to be invaluable. She has many wonderful qualities but does'nt know the front end of a stove from the back end. You ask her though...if she can cook and she will , without batting an eyelid , confidently affirm that she does. Ask her what her repertoire consists of and you will hear the following:

a) Brownie
b) Pineapple upside down cake
c) Muffins

etc..

So, she comes through as someone who can make oh-so-complicated stuff..so everyone assumes she can do all the routine stuff..

Well in short she and I are the Marie Antoinettes of this world , offering our family and friends cake instead of bread or pasta instead of saambaar saadam. And since they will not have cake/pasta everyday (thankfully), we plead helplessness for their lack in taste and escape the "You're 20 and you need to learn to cook , not just to fend for yourself but when you get married what will happen ?" dialogue.

On that note..I think I better toodle off to bed-though the night is young , the morning beckons and the rambling must stop before it gets to painful....

I don't think I better write quite so late at night...

(lol...am giggling my head off , just realised that in a trivial , childish way , the previous sentence rhymes and couple of more sentences previous to that rhyme as well...I think...The night is intoxicating.What is it about the still air and the crescent moon that makes me so hiiighhh....

It's such a beautiful night. It really is .And I have a strong feeling I'm gonna regret posting all of this in the morning...)

11 comments:

Siddhu said...

Hey great. Another post at last, and a pippin at that! :-)

I shall not comment on your act of having cooked. I shall resist, and bear the strain manfully.(Though I can think of ten cheap things I tell everyone who tells me about his/her cooking exploits);-)

The reason I do not comment thus is because I shall be Siddhu Warrier, Chef Extraordinaire (mis-spelt French, but French enough for me). I shall be a master of the sambarsaadam and its brethren - cuz there's a limit to the amount of pasta, sushi, snake friend rice and sake I can consume.

Gayatri said...

i know u can cook.. 'cos i've seen u cook.. i'm not saying this so that u can vouch for my cooking! he he..

i saw before sunrise last week at the office after tgif.. great movie!

and hey.. don't say anything about sadham.. u have no idea how much i'm craving thyr sadam and vatha kozhambu.. (mama!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi, first off, I really like the title of that post. About the pasta you said you made: I've been on a quest to find the "perfect" (MY perfect :))pasta sauce and will say I've been getting better with each try (it has been slightly "narrow" so far though... I've been experimenting only within the limits of a tomato-based sauce...). I notice you said you used a white sauce; I'd really like to know how you made it and what went into it.

Anonymous said...

[Same "anonymous" as one above]
-- Ashwin.

(Realized that that comment looks weird without a name.)

Mercury said...

Hey thanks siddhu ..It's ok...U can tell me all the Ten Cheap things you thought of...let's see how cheap they were..I can take criticism , if I find it witty...lol.

Thanks Gayu...Aathu-ku Vaa di , Naa onnukagha special-a vathal kozhambu , thayir saadam-odda panni vekarein!!! Lol...Hey when you coming to madras babe??

And Ashwin,hey I'd don't mind telling you, infact it's a recipe I got off the internet-2 Cheeses Mozzarella and parmesan-You just have to run a search for it , you'll find it pretty easily but if you actually want details , feel free to email me at risingmercuryatgmaildotcom ,The sauce is nothing very special or complicated you know ,but it tastes really nice. And if you wouldnt mind , we could trade- u could maybe tell me how you make your sauce...anyway email me, don't want to go into culinary details on this blog...

Siddhu said...

Well, I remember a couple of them off the cuff - they're cheap, so by extension not witty in the least. ;-)

1. Oh you're cooking dinner. Did your parents have an ambulance with a monogrammed stomach pump?

2. So when're you cookin' for us? And will it be a 'Bring your own Diegene' party?

Bad enough's sad enough (if the above sentence means anything, its entirely uninentational - just thought it sounded cool). So i stop now.

Srikar said...

i'm so jealous. I had to start working in office as soon as my exams go over...

San said...

So youve been seeing really nice movies...

Daydream delusion.
Limousine Eyelash
Oh, baby with your pretty face
Drop a tear in my wineglass
Look at those big eyes
See what you mean to me
Sweet cakes and milkshakes

Ya. Agreed. Amazing...

Lol @ "I don't think I better write quite so late at night..." .Its 10pm di!

PS : How come Mercury is still anonymous...

Mercury said...

>>Siddhu: That was'nt even funny , but those are standard repartees so...lol

Also about the "Bad enough's sad enough" ,
what??????????????
But I must tell you , that totally cracked me up...ROTFL.. You are priceless/hilarious etc.

>>Srikar:Yeah I guess I am lucky , but there are good reasons why I was allowed to not start work immidiately after my exams..(Ok..terrible sentence construction...lol..)

>>Sanju: (Adorable nick..) First , I started writing the post at 10:00 pm and due to lots of people being online and stuff , I actually wrote most of it between 1:00 and 2:00 am...so I guess the time the post registers ,seemingly ,is when you start writing it , not when you are done...I actually checked that..and in my opinion 1 AM is pretty darn late...

Hey btw..do u have the rest of that poem...is it there somewhere online??I wanted to actually post it on my blog..love it.

And uh..about the anonymous thingy...I guess I don't really care..So yeah , if you read the post,you'll know my name . I actually thought about removing the mercury and replacing it with my name...But I've had that nick for so very long now , I've got quite attached to it...So yeah , my blog remains in the name of Mercury...

San said...

Sanju? Adorable? How?

Helmet's the adorable nick. Or the nick of the adorable.And the humble.:P

And yes the mostly ununderstable poem is available online as you have put up in your newest post... so this is redundant.Don't read this. Too late...

Anonymous said...

This post changed a lot of things didn't it? :)