Thursday, May 12, 2005

After Sunrise , After Sunset

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are two wonderful and refreshingly different movies that I had the pleasure of watching back to back a couple of days ago. And since both of them appealed vastly to my rather overwhelming sense of romance and yet managed to remain withing the realms of realism-I loved it.

Both of the movies in fact are just two-hour long conversations. But wow..what conversations. I don't mean that they are particularly profound , the kind of conversations that people never have. Not at all, they are the kind of things we can and maybe do talk about. But the beauty of it is , that these two strangers are able to have meaningful conversations and connect on such an intellectual basis (atleast seemingly- ofcourse Ethan Hawke is hot and Julie Delpy is absolutely a natural beauty) and be around each other with such ease-

So this is what I would call a thinking romantic's (is that contradictory ...no, romantics do think...I think..lol) dream come true movie- Why? Well , on the one hand you have the romance of two complete strangers meeting on a train and connecting with each other almost instantly - and yet as they are spending that evening they are both fully aware that what they have is transitory , they realise that they are stuck in a moment ,so to speak , which will pass eventually and they have to get back to reality-and reality is what they decide to hold at bay , just to experience the magic of the whole thing.

Anyway , if you have'nt seen both of the movie and if you are'nt a complete cynic of the highest order , you should definitely watch it..Unless your idea of a good movie means that it should have some/all of the below

-A wicked villain (ok maybe you could think of time as that..)
-A major conspiracy to kill the president/blow up america
-The F.B.I/ C.I.A/Cops
-lots of sex
-lots of bashing up of hero by villain and eventually vice versa
-a story line (this movie is completely in the moment...not much of a story- but in this case it is entirely perfect)
-A love triangle, with/without "yeh shaadi kabhi nahin hoga " type tantrums.

Before Sunset , is the sequel , and unlike the usual trend , not at all disappointing .Infact it's faithful to the original ,realistic and yet wonderfully romantic.Before Sunset is about what happens when the two of them happen to meet 9 years later.

Anyway , since I love both of these movies so much, I thought I would pay a little tribute to them by putting up the poem (from Before Sunrise ) and the lyrics of the Waltz Song (from Before Sunset)

I love the poem although honestly, I don't understand certain bits of it, if anyone has any idea on what the first part means, the second is plain enough, but things like Limousine Eyelash?? is that to mean that they are reallly long?? And daydream delusion , does he mean that she is so perfect she seems unreal, like a dream that he conjured up??

Anyway here it is:

Daydream delusion
Limousine eyelash
Oh baby with your pretty face
Drop a tear in my wineglass
Look at those big eyes
See what you mean to me
Sweet-cakes and milkshakes
My delusion angel
My fantasy parade

I want you to know what I think
Don't want you to guess anymore
You have no idea where I came from
We have no idea where we're going
Lodged in life
Like branches in a river
Flowing downstream
Caught in the current
I'll carry you
You'll carry me
That's how it could be
Don't you know me?
Don't you know me by now?


Ok and this is the song that Julie sings to Ethan in Before Sunset- It's pretty ordinary as lyrics go but it fits that scene so well , it's in the context is what I mean. And it's beautiful and haunting the way she sings .
(Imagine a french accent as you read this...if you can..)

Let me sing you a waltz
Out of nowhere, out of my thoughts
Let me sing you a waltz
About this one night stand

You were for me that night
Everything I always dreamt of in life
But now you're gone
You are far gone
All the way to your island of rain

It was for you just a one night thing
But you were much more to me
Just so you know

I hear rumors about you
About all the bad things you do
But when we were together alone
You didn't seem like a player at all

I don't care what they say
I know what you meant for me that day
I just wanted another try
I just wanted another night
Even if it doesn't seem quite right
You meant for me much more
Than anyone I've met before

One single night with you Jesse
Is worth a thousand with anybody

I have no bitterness, my sweet
I'll never forget this one night thing
Even tomorrow, in another arms
My heart will stay yours until I die

Let me sing you a waltz
Out of nowhere, out of my blues
Let me sing you a waltz
About this lovely one night stand

P.S: ...One night stands- My friends and I were'nt quite sure if we are as much against them as we used to be before watching this movie....that is to say..one night stands with Ethan Hawke..lol

7 comments:

Siddhu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Siddhu said...

Hey nice post. Think I'll watch the movie, if my eyes aren't shot by then, staring at the computer monitor all day. :-P

And a movie I like should have ...

-A wicked villain (ok maybe you could think of time as that..)

no thanks

-A major conspiracy to kill the president/blow up america

Ho humm

-The F.B.I/ C.I.A/Cops

I hate 'em bastards

-lots of sex

yea yea yea yea yea yea!!!

-lots of bashing up of hero by villain and eventually vice versa

YAAWWWWNNN!!

-a story line (this movie is completely in the moment...not much of a story- but in this case it is entirely perfect)

i think I'll pass

-A love triangle, with/without "yeh shaadi kabhi nahin hoga " type tantrums.

Helpp!!

Errr.. after answering these questions, I think I know the kind of movie I SHOULD be watching. :-P

meera said...

ok they sound amazing....i wanna watch them!!! sweets i love the waltz...but the other one...it sounds to me like someone with pretty juvenile imagination.... but i wanna see the movies and i still have one blasted exam to go!!!!

Archster said...

I've only seen 'Before Sunset', and ever since, I’ve been fervently trying to get a hold of the prequel. My source (this old man who sits in Parrys Corner selling DVDs for under 80 bucks)looked entirely lost when I asked for it! And with the company I keep, I think its near impossible that ill succeed. (Given that it lacks the clichéd fight sequels and pretty much everything from the list stated in ur blog) :)

You summed up the movie excellently...just reading about it made me tremendously happy.

I listened to ‘The Waltz’ about 6 times at the end of the movie, and then promptly signed into Limewire.

Mercury said...

Hey thanks archana...BTW , if you know someone who belongs to this video library in nungambakkam called RIC , you could ask them to lend it for you...I got it from there..It's a beautiful movie...you should watch it...In some ways its better than before sunset..because it's a little more idealistic and they are younger and the world seems theirs to conquer..

Anonymous said...

But at the end, what happens to Jesse in the airport?

Anonymous said...

But at the end, what happens to Jesse in the airport? Is that other girl his wife?