Saturday, May 14, 2005

Tell Me Your Dreams??

There's this really old and popular song , if i'm not mistaken , sung by buddy holly ,that goes as follows:

Dream
Dream dream dream
Dream
Dream dream dream


Whenever I want you, in my arms
Whenever I need you and all your charms
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream dream dream

I can make you mine
Taste your lips of wine
Any time, night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz
I'm dreaming my life away

I need you so ,that I could die
I love you so, and that is why
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream

This post has nothing to do with the song except the title...All I Have To Do Is Dream...and the fact that dreaming really seems to be my prinicpal past time or atleast my most favourite one off late.I know that they say that if you want your dreams to come true , don't spend so much time sleeping..(this holds for awake dreaming too..so maybe we should say if you want your dreams to come true , don't spend more than ten minutes dreaming everyday)

It can get pretty scary because , as time goes by instead of dreams becoming more of a reality....they seem to remain more unreal. And then like the song goes...you realise that..."Gee whiz, I'm dreaming my life away.."

So I decided that I would list out the things I want do in my life , so I don't lose sight of them ,however small, knowing that now is not the time to be thinking about it and then as soon as these god damn exams are over I will start to take notice.And I will use them as a reminder on every road I take , to see if that's the road I want to be on.

Why all the fuss you ask , the melodrama and all that jazz...well the thing is.....I'm graduating in a month (I think.)and I have no clue as to what I'm gonna be doing next.

You may ask ,in the hallowed words of Rachel of F.R.I.E.N.D.S, New York

"Yeah , what , so???"

I'm probably among the millions of seemingly aimless souls who will be awarded a degree (for no particular achievement) this year. Now, to be fair to myself , It ain't like I have nowhere to go...I have a couple of things lined up..But none of them seem anywhere close to where I'd imagined myself. In all this rush and preoccupation , I keep stopping to wonder if all the effort is worth it? If the direction i'm heading in , is the right one? And a myriad of other racking doubts that are bound to cloud one's mind when one is in the process of a "Transition".

So , I decided to stop a while , even if only to indulge myself , and think about all the things I really want to do.And make a list , so even if I end up making ends meat by doing paperwork or coming up with dumb ideas for people to buy..That will only be my preoccupation. And I will look at this list and this shall be what I will do with my life and what I want out of life. I guess a lot of things might get added or removed from the list as life goes on and I experience a lot more things but as of now ,This is it...I think ,These things will make me happy.

So ,here's what I came up with:

1) I want to learn to dance the salsa , the tango , swing , fox trot , cha cha cha...and go dancing every weekend.

2)I wanna learn to ski , I want to go parasailing , sky diving , water skiing , ice skating , bungee jumping ,white water rafting.

3)Explore India-villages and all-not just the touristy thing- Rajasthan,Orissa,Leh,Darjeeling-everywhere.

4)I want to spend 3 months (at least) in each of the following places :

- Paris : to haunt the cafes , camp at The Louvre , the Musee d'orsay and absorb French culture even if it's on a shoe string budget

-Florence and Rome : just to visit all the churches , see the frescoes and Michelangelo's sculptures

There are other places on my list. But the above mentioned cities are long dreamed about destinations.

5) I'd like to live in Europe for one simple reason and one reason only ('cos I love madras dearly ) . Because ,I'm told, in Europe, everyone slogs for ten months and vacations for two whole months, irrespective of whether you are a janitor or a high powered executive- They believe that life is for the living and work is for sustenance. (Hear Hear)

Or, I don't mind a job here that will afford me the same luxury and the same monetary benefits..lol

6) I'd like to be in a job that can afford to let me have a house by the sea...(tsunami regulations adhered to etc. ) where the biggest room in the house is the library.

6)And have lots and lots of books and CDs or DVDs or whatever manner of music storage we are gonna use in the future.

7)Speaking of music, I'd kill to learn to play the violin.

8)I want to learn to speak tamil ,because by god, it's my mother tongue and how will I convince my kids that they need to speak tamil when I'm living in a house by the sea in europe ,if I don't speak tamil myself.

9)I want to learn hindi and urdu to understand all the beautiful hindi lyrics of old hindi movies and faiz's poetry , which so far I have only read translations of.

10) Add spanish , italian and french to the list of languages for the following reasons

-Spanish-just so I can read Neruda's poems in their original.
-Italian-so I can understand Opera-I fell in love with italian after watching Life Is Beautiful..
-French-because I laboured for a year and a half over it and it's a beautiful language , and it will help me understand the menu where I live in europe..lol

11) I want to be able to read copiously- and still more

About all the learning part..That I should do sometime soon..It's difficult as you get older , I hear.

So for now , That's all I can come up with. For the most part I'd really like to travel every year and spend time absorbing culture and language of different places all over the world.

Anyway,these are my somewhat humble(?)dreams..I would love to hear that I'm not the only dreamer in this world...lol..So tell me your dreams..?..uh...corny...lol..well anyway...

10 comments:

Siddhu said...

Hey really nice post. Had a good time reading it - reminded me acutely of the state of flux that I myself am in. :-P

Btw, welcome to the 'i wanna learn salsa' club. But admission is provisional upon providing proof of the fact that your dancing is usually likened to the mating dance of the african gorilla (like mine is).

And yeah, my real dream is (to hell with salsa, its too much like exercise :P) to backpack through Europe - not to see the Louvre and the art (never was too arty) - but to see the places where history was made - the Marne, Dunkirk, the Ardennes Forest, the beaches of Utah, Omaha, Juno and Sword in Normandy, Stalingrad... phew the list goes on. Maybe if all goes well, I should be doing that next summer. Er.....Siddhu, snap outta it! :-P

Siddhu said...

Hey,
found this link to www.intellectualwhores.com from your archives. Danke danke danke. :-D

The most interesting read I've had in a long long time.

And being a politically correct IW myself, I reserve comments.

Mercury said...

Hey thanks Siddhu..lol..Me too, I would love to visit all of those places too...oh and I forgot to mention greece..But you know , I don't want to do the touristy thing..I wanna actually live in these places for a while..

Oh and about the intellectual whores..Was'nt it a scream??? I had such a laugh reading it..Infact,I guess it has seeds of truth..And too bad about you having to suffer being an intellectual whore..lol..You'll get your chance to leave the shackles behind I'm sure...Perhaps in europe..lol..

Siddhu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Siddhu said...

I'm soo sorry about the ten comments (all of which are the same) on your blog. I clicked on the Login and Publish button ten times, cuz it appeared it wasn't working at all. SO Sorry!! :P - i deleted half of them, lost patience with th rest. Typically goofy me

Mercury said...

Lol..well your efforts did deny me of being jobless for 7 whole minutes , while I deleted them- Seven whole minutes of purpose!!

No worries though..I managed to delete it!! But , damn , I actually thought, for a couple of very happy moments while the page loaded, that I had twelve distinctly different comments...lol..Ah..well my luck!!

Archster said...

Hey Mercury! That was a real 'feel good' kinda read!

But dang it... it just made me think of my mundane existence (current existence at
least). Oh, Well! At least I have dreams now. :)

And thank you for the info on getting a hold of 'before sunrise'! Come Tuesday, (which marks the end of my ill-fated model exams) Im gonna be watchinng 'Before Sunrise'. Followed by several episodes of South Park of course!

Siddhu said...

New post, new post. Where is a new post? I await a new post. (Doesn't it rhyme?;))

Antimatter said...

Ah, Dreams. Never wait too long, you ll be too old for too many things if you wait too long. Hope you get to live them all and more.

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly or maybe not so surprisingly, much of your list overlaps with mine. Although, my principal aim in life keeps me in check from meandering away. There is som much to do and so little time. btw, I am a great fan of dancing as well.