Tuesday, June 09, 2009

For You

Since every one of my 6 readers was very kind and encouraging after the last post and urged me to write more, here is another one. It was written on the spur of the moment in about 10 minutes and because it was rather spontaneous and inspired by something I'd read, I didn't want to meddle around with it too much. So I have no clue if it's any good or sounds totally cliche. I'm better at angry poems, I think.

Inspired by Carol Ann Duffy and written for someone.

----------


Tonight, sleep is restless, like an unwell child
I whine and toss over again.
I say your name softly and mutter curses under my breath
But you aren't here, so I say it aloud:
'Damn you!'.

You are walking, somewhere.

And I, being used to you, in sleep
feel the absence,
of your leg draped over my hip.
Which many nights
you used as leverage,
to pull even closer in some morning hour.
Sometimes, just to breathe nearer.
Or half-asleep, to bury your face in my hair,
(happily kept long just for you.)
Or if you didn't whisper it earlier,
awaken me into a surreal cocoon of love and night
with your soft, tender, moist kisses
left delicately on my spine.

In this cold room of mine,
too far away from you,
I wait,
And dream such warm dreams of us.

11 comments:

Sid said...

beautiful.... deeply touching and reminiscent of a lot of past!!!

sincerely, your style of writing is too different - it is built of not poetic flights of fancy but grounded in memory lane... and that's why, it hits a chord deep inside. Impressed :)

Mercury said...

Sid, your comments are much appreciated. I'm glad you like it!

Thanks a bunch!

meera said...

Wow lady! as i read i think i know the someone it was written for...its really cute and adorable in context...and pretty vivid in description..telling you i'm good at visualiazations isnt gonna make you too happy is it :) nah...but its brilliant girl!!

Mercury said...

Babe, as I was telling someone else yesterday, the thing about writing a poem like this, is that while it might originate from some private or intimate thoughts, it takes on its own life once you begin to flesh it out. It doesn't remain a description of your own trivial experience but rather, a collective impression of something bigger than that, that you want to leave your reader with. So there is a certain detachment I feel from it and any embarrassment, I shove aside, in the happiness that I was able to write.

Madhuri said...

I love it, its beautiful :)!!

Mercury said...

Muchas Gracias!

Jaya said...

Stay. Don't lapse into a hiatus again.

potatopeelings said...

er.. hello. anybody home?

Mercury said...

@ Potato : This residence is temporarily unoccupied, we just stop by when we get mail :)

I don't seem to blog anymore somehow. I do still write. But mostly just copiously long e-mails. :)

I'm very curious potato, Its been years, so I will just take the liberty.. Who are you? What do you do? How come you to suddenly visit my long defunct blog? :)And why don't you still write? Or do you? On a blog somewhere?

(Left on the off chance that you drop by again)

Sid said...

Hey Mercury,
It is really sad and bad that your blog is not active for so long now... I liked it a lot and then, today these comment updates in my mail reminded me of the long forgotten one.
Plz plz plz start it again :)

potatopeelings said...

> How come you to suddenly visit my long defunct blog?
didn't you read the manual? feed aggregator cleanups should be done every 3 years.

> Or do you? On a blog somewhere?
> And why don't you still write?
lost my anonymity. and then, it was hard to convince people not to have me committed so... i kind of went off air for a while.

i also show other symptoms of having delusions about being famous (like wearing sunglasses at home and drinking mineral water)

(oh plus, i was too lazy to write)

> Who are you? What do you do?
you can guess from my posts i guess. computers, IT, software or whatever the kids are calling it these days.