Wednesday, June 03, 2009

A Poem (And A Disclaimer)

This is one of the few things I've managed to write in recent times (nearly a year). And apparently I seem to have lost some of my confidence in the meanwhile because I am terribly unsure of whether this is worthy for anyone else's eyes. But, I will take a chance and post it anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, they say.

I couldn't decide what to call it, yet. So for now, it remains untitled.

P.S : If it's awful, do be kind.

Here goes :


My beloved is brown.
Not a weak cafe-au-lait brown.
Brown-er.
Like the ripe, gooey tamarind flesh
that spills out of heavy, fallen pods
in the summertime.
A manly brown.

She is fairer, they said of me charitably.
(Just as it ought to be), by more than a shade or two.
Yet, I suspect, only barely enough for them to approve.
For mine is a warm shade.
Like the strong, south-indian, filter coffee
that swirled silkily in silver tumblers
on that morning we were married.

But it was only last night, in a loving moment,
when he held my hands tenderly in his,
and then later our fingers intertwined,
in a crisscrossing of light and shade,
that We first noticed this.
And laughed.

Now, he amuses himself by saying
I am the exact hue of his favourite brew.

14 comments:

potato said...

yaay! someone finally got it right. the disclaimer comes before the disclaimed abt.

please register at our site so that we can send you a couple of ipods and a trip to hawaii.

not bad, we say, for a year's gap

Mercury said...

Ha ha ha ha.. My favourite and most faithful reader, did you actually read several versions of the poem ?

Yeah, well, Pfff! It was a very long and frustrating night! And I just couldn't seem to get it right. Everytime I thought I was satisfied and posted it, I found something new that was niggling. So back to the drawing board, I went.

I am rusty and have atrophied. So even the 'not bad' shall be accepted gracefully. :)

And what website! Sheesh! For the gazillionth time.. when will I get to read your stuff!

varali said...

Lovely.

And it can only get better if you keep writing.

Mercury said...

Muchas Gracias.

meera said...

its lovely lady...do not worry so!!

Sid said...

It's really a good one - the simplicity, the feel, the expression... it's all too good. I especially liked the comparisons with tamarind and coffee etc. (coz of the beautiful and naturally flowing 'roopak' alankaar)

keep writing more and more frequently :)

Mercury said...

@ Meeru : Thank you.. But I have to say I'm surprised you still read :P

@ Sid : Thank you also. But Sheesh! me thinks you credit me with too much. Because I have no clue what 'alankaar' is and any flowing 'roopak' is entirely incidental. :)

Madhumita said...

Very nice. Sounds contemporary and flows well into the last 2 lines. Why don't you publish on poetry.com? Its extremely motivating to see your stuff in print even if its online :). Write more!

Madhuri said...

"exact hue of my favorite brew" but awesome :)!! how could you have possibly doubted this?

Mercury said...

@ Madhumita : I don't think I'm ready to send it to a poetry site or anything.. Maybe in sometime, if I get better, perhaps. But thanks for the encouragement, it is much appreciated!

@ Madhuri : Ha ha ha.. I have no clue at which point that popped into my head... but once it did, I just had to have it in the poem even if it did change the tone and give the whole thing a rather comic twist!

Abhinav said...

This poem has inspired me to break my poetry-writing hiatus.. truly fantastic.
i think you should title it 'my favourite brew' :)

AC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AC said...

Beautiful :)

Jaya said...

This is why I'm glad you're writing again.