Saturday, January 08, 2005

Mi Primer Amor:Tenis Y Deportes En General

Guillermo Garcia-Lopez I salute you.Yesterday was a display of sheer guts , talent and amazing attitude. You played like a true warrior. Whatever one might say about the underdog and how he has nothing to lose and therefore can play his best game, it requires absolute courage and great temperament to play the way you did against Moya , a worthy opponent , if there ever was one . ( Although yesterday he did struggle , but maybe that's 'cos you did'nt give him one inch of leverage!)

Having the entire stadium screaming your opponents name , and asking for your downfall cannot but be intimidating. But for every shout of "Moya" , you whacked , whipped , smashed the ball so punishingly to show him and everyone else what tennis and competition was all about. Boy! It was so sad to see you lose , for you truly deserved to win...(lol..actually getting poetic..but yesterday was simply brilliant!). Ultimately , your game was truly gutsy , an exhibition of your awesome talent , and I was thoroughly impressed and consider myself an admirer of your style. (not to say that that means anything..but anyway..lol..). I'm sure you'll go places and I sure hope you come back to play in chennai next year.

Anyway , Yesterday was great! After a long time...I was so excited about something I was witnessing . I LOVE TENNIS. And I love sports. But tennis is my first love. Something I spent eight years of my life playing. And still do occasionally. (like about twice a year..much to my dismay!) . I can go into raptures about every aspect of it and I'm one of those terribly passionate sport afficionados. The kinds that will scream herself hoarse at a match...( although , never during a point , unlike some assholes who have no concept of how it distracts a player when you scream when he's serving or whatever...pieces of crap ,with no bloody sense , that think its funny ...they should be thrown out of the stadium...) ..

I love a good game the kind where every point is fought for. And the match is even. It brings out the best in both players. And the atmosphere is charged, electric even .(like this one really memorable time , when Boris Becker came to madras and the whole stadium was screaming his name , mexican waves and all...boy! that was great...although he subsequently lost...) . Will never forget playing a couple of rallies with Richard Krajicek and getting introduced to him by my coach as a talented young itty bit. ( I was twelve then , it was my life's high point..lol.. Damn ! those were some days...playing tennis , dreaming of wimbledon and school somewhere in the background...lol...bliss!) . Ok looks like , this is gonna be a reminescing thingie after all...lol...Just don't ask me what happened to tennis and the dreams...

Although I enjoy watching and playing many games , the one I enjoy watching the most is soccer (never had oppurtunity to play soccer seriously , just for fun when i used to play tennis and it rained and we could'nt use the clay courts..)...although I must admit that I am a tournament soccer fan. Only watch it everytime there is a big tournament , like last year's Euro 2004. and the FIFA World Cup and stuff.. (that's when the best soccer happens anyway , when people play for their countries ) and the occasions when dad's watching and I know the team that is playing..(well I know like 4-5 english teams , 3-4 italian teams and ofcourse spanish league.)

So yeah , Although I hate being a sheep , when it comes to being a sports , I put aside my uppity attitude and scream along with the rest of the crowd. There is so much talent to be appreciated. I guess playing a lot of sports or even only one, at any level, gives you an appreciation of the immense talent , hard work and sacrifice required to perform at such a high level , so consistently. And I bow down in appreciation to all sportspeople for that.





2 comments:

FuzzyLogic. said...

Wow, aren't you totally in love with Mr.Garcia Lopez. and trying to be poetic too.. hmm. Well, and one more thing, about the screaming, it might be all nice from west green, but try west brown..., with enough distraction, and BYT's jumping and shouting "Moya Moya', makes the match ..hmm... only secondary. (yeah, I am talking about those, who you so eloquently called 'assholes'). By the way, not to say there is no excitement on the court, but still the best part of the event takes place at the merc lounge ;)

bye,
vishnu

Unknown said...

have seen a lot of these incidents on Tv but to see them live must have been some experience. though i didnt know they were giving spanish lessons on the tennis court. I might have joined if it were gabriela sabatini teaching.
Hmm so now u got 2 crushes. moya and the other guy. nice. anyways good to see the blogs coming out now. wish i cud say the same for me. here's hoping that one does come out soon

Swapnil